Banking by and for the Hopkins community.
Savings • Free Checking • Loans
We are a financial cooperative that puts our members and their financial goals first. For over 50 years, we've provided our member-owners with competitive, high-quality financial services uniquely suited to their financial journey.
Joining Johns Hopkins Federal Credit Union is quick and easy! When you become a member, you're getting access to a team that is there to listen to your needs and create solutions, while also supporting the local community.
To open an account, please start by choosing one of the no-fee Share Savings accounts below (and you can add our fee-free Checking).
Who Can Join
JHFCU membership is open to employees, students, alumni and retirees of most of the Johns Hopkins institutions and other affiliated groups; Check our full list of membership eligibility if you have any questions.
What to Have Ready
The initial application process is quick but you'll be asked a series of questions to help us verify your identity and eligibility. You will also be required to upload documentation, so you will need to have these documents close by.
Need a Loan?
You can request your loan as part of your membership application...we'll process both!
Do I have to join online?
No, you have options! You can:
Join by Mail
You can mail a completed application into any of our branches. To receive an application in the mail, please send an email to [email protected] or call us at 410-534-4500.The completed application should be returned to the Credit Union with the following items:
- A $25.00 minimum deposit or a payroll deduction form.
- A copy of a valid government-issued ID for all parties to be listed on the account.
- Proof of eligibility, such as a copy of a Hopkins or Hopkins affiliate ID badge or current paycheck stub.
JHU students must:
Incoming freshman: provide Proof of Enrollment (tuition bill, housing assignment, JH ID or class schedule) in addition to state-issued ID and minimum deposit
Enrolled students: provide their JH ID, state-issued ID and minimum deposit
Alumni: provide Johns Hopkins University Alumni
- White Alumni cards that all Alumni receive
- Cerulean (dark blue) Society Card
If you have any question contact us to speak with a representative
Join at a Branch
You may visit any one of our branches to open your account in person. We have three full-time branches, East Baltimore, Homewood, and Bayview. Be sure to bring a Hopkins or Hopkins affiliate ID badge or a current paycheck stub to show proof of eligibility for membership and a valid government-issued ID (e.g., driver's license). You will need to complete a membership application and deposit a minimum of $25.00 into a Share Savings account or sign up for payroll deduction to initiate the account. While opening your account, you can sign up for payroll deduction and online banking at the same time.
If you are a relative or co-habitant of a current member, you will need that member's account number and Social Security number on your application to join, along with your government-issued ID and initial deposit.
Find a Branch
Who is eligible to join Johns Hopkins Federal Credit Union?
Under JHFCU's current charter, you are eligible for membership in the Johns Hopkins Federal Credit Union if you are employed with or retired from the list below
- Aramark (under contract for Johns Hopkins University, Mt. Washington Conference Center Campus)
- All Children's Hospital
- All employees on the Bayview Medical Campus, including:
- NIA (National Institute on Aging)
- NIH (National Institute of Health)
- NIDA (National Institute on Drug Abuse)
- Believe in Tomorrow Children’s House at Johns Hopkins
- Broadway Services, Inc. (Baltimore employees)
- Carnegie Institution of Washington
- Community of Science
- Dome Corporation
- Howard County General Hospital
- Hughes Medical Institute of JHMI
- Independent College Fund of Maryland
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Johns Hopkins Club
- Johns Hopkins Community Physicians
- Johns Hopkins Health System
- Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Johns Hopkins Home Care Group, Inc.
- Johns Hopkins Medical Management Corp./Intrastaff
- Johns Hopkins University - employees and students
- Johns Hopkins University Alumni Association
- Kennedy Krieger Institute
- Keswick Multi-Care Center
- Lifestar Response of Maryland (employees who work in or are paid from Annapolis Junction, MD)
- Maryland Independent College and University Association, Inc.
- Maryland Institute, College of Art
- Mount Saint Mary's University
- Peabody Institute of The Johns Hopkins University- employees and students
- Paragon Biomedical Services, Inc.
- Patient First (Greenspring Station)
- Potomac Home Health Care
- Potomac Home Support
- Professional Placement Resources (Johns Hopkins employees)
- Resolution Health, Inc. a subsidiary of Wellpoint, Inc.(Columbia, MD location only)
- SAIS (Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies) - employees and students
- Sibley Memorial Hospital
- Space Telescope Science Institute
- Suburban Hospital
- Transwestern Employees @ Mt. Washington Campus
- Universal Protection Service, LP d/b/a Allied Universal Security Services (employees who work regularly under contract for Johns Hopkins University and the Peabody Institute in Baltimore, MD)
- Washington College
Household members (of primary members only*) — Domestic partners and anyone who lives in the household and can demonstrate a degree of permanency are considered household members/ Immediate family members of current JHFCU primary members* — including :
- brothers and sisters
*Primary members are the original member who gave sponsorship to others (who are eligible for membership through employment or census track). If you were sponsored in by a primary member you are not eligible to sponsor others into membership.
Anyone who lives, works, worships, volunteers, or attends school in Census Tract 2605.01, Baltimore city, Maryland (Helpful hint when searching for your census tract: (1) Enter your address in the search box on top right of screen (2) then select "Census Tracts and Blocks" under the "Layers" menu in the top left of screen).
Census Track 2605.01 consists if the following: Beginning at the Intersection of East Lombard Street and Ponca Street, proceed east on East Lombard Street to the Baltimore City and Baltimore County border at the intersection of East Lombard Street and North Point Boulevard. Proceed south on the Baltimore City and Baltimore County border to Fait Avenue. Proceed west on Fait Avenue to O’Donnell Street. Proceed west on O’Donnell Street to Ponca Street. Proceed north on Ponca Street to East Lombard Street.
Is Your Company Not Listed?
If you are an employee whose company is not listed and would like to see if it may be eligible, please have your Human Resources or Benefits manager check out our Information for HR Departments and Employers.
What documents do I need to open my account?
Please have the following documents handy:
- Your Social Security or tax ID number
- Your government-issued ID (i.e. State-issued driver’s license/ID or US passport in English.)
- Your proof of eligibility for membership (i.e. Student or staff ID, JHU alumni card, paycheck stub, etc. If eligible through a family member, please have their name and last 4 digits of their Social Security number available.)
- Proof of your current physical address may be required if the address on your government-issued ID is not current (i.e. Change of address card [Maryland only], a recent utility bill, valid [non-expired] lease agreement signed by landlord and tenants, or any piece of mail sent to the current address containing a post-marked date within the past 30 days.) NOTE: a PO Box is not a valid form of a physical address.
- If you wish to apply for a loan, we may require proof of income, but let’s get your new JHFCU account opened first.